My hubby’s guilty pleasure is island oat bars from Starbucks.
We don’t frequent like we used to, [thanks to Financial Peace University] but when we do, we split our favourites- an island oat bar and a dark roast with one pump peppermint, one pump mocha [we like to Pretend its Christmas all year long]. But the last few times we’ve been, they’ve been right out of bars, leaving Dave long faced and heartbroken. I know it’s only an oat bar, you say… but we’ve seriously cut back. And these outings are a treat in and of themselves….
So, being the mother fix-it-if-I-can, that I am, I took matters in my own hands and brought his simple treat home. This afternoon, after much research and fiddling with recipes, I made my own island oat bars which, dare I say it, taste EXACTLY like the originals!
If you’d rather take them from treat status to every day granola bar status, I’ve included the healthy alternatives also!
Home-made “Just Like Starbucks” Island Oat Bars
Makes 1 dozen servings
- 1/2 cup butter [ **Mashed Banana]
- 1/2 cup brown sugar [**Stevia or Brown Sugar Splenda]
- 1/4 cup Corn Syrup [**Honey or Agave Syrup]
- 1/4 cup milk [**Almond Milk]
- 1/4 tsp salt [**Sea Salt]
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 + 1/2 cups quick cooking oats [**Steel Cut Oats]
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Line 8″ square pan with parchment
- Grind down 2 cups of the oats using a blender or food processor, until they look like flour
- Mix ground oats with remaining non-ground oats and set aside
- In a pot or pan, melt butter with sugar, syrup and salt, until fully dissolved
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and milk
- Add oats and mix until thoroughly combined
- Pour into pan and firmly press and pack down using both hands and a ladle
- Bake for 17 mins or until light golden brown
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares
But don’t say I didn’t warn you. These things are easy to make and somewhat addictive…..