As I pondered my New Year’s resolutions, the list kept building; including the usuals that tend to last a total of 48 hours, along with others that weigh heavy on my heart. From 3, came 5 and from 5 came 10.
As many know, I take resolutions quite seriously. Goals are my middle name and I’m one to stick to things ’till the job gets done… and well! (or mastered; whichever comes first) So, as I sat there staring at my pressing desires, I began to reflect on the heart of the matter. What did all these things have in common?
Quality over Quantity
Whether its my personal life or my business, I tend to be gung ho! All in or nothing. I devour myself until Im chest deep in whatever it is Im doing. And while this is a wonderful asset, that lends to the over-achieving, persistent self starter that I am, it’s also, all consuming.
Let’s be frank…. “Balance” seems far from normal for this lady.
So, as 2012 knocks on the door, I open, with favor for quality over quantity.
- I will choose to take on select projects that stir me from the inside, rather than every little thing that comes my way.
- I will focus on fewer projects at one time, to give each my absolute best and the extra attention each deserves, to fly and be fully appreciated/ savored.
- I will choose to supply quality content to my clients, rather than keeping up with the rat race, just to say I post 5 times a week.
- I will choose to focus on building select, strong networking relationships, with like minded professionals who share my values and passion.
- I will choose efficiency over busy-ness.
- I will choose to take breaks throughout the day and turn work off at 5…like the rest of the world.
- I will learn tomorrow comes quicker than I think, and leaving things until then, is OK!
- I will choose slow, steady growth that can survive the times and favors longevity.
- I will not be ashamed of my BIG DREAMS and will give myself what I need to achieve them
- I will not compare myself or my work to others and will instead, focus that attention of being the best ME I can be.
- I will not allow others hesitations, negativity or outlook, to affect my own heart, passion and dreams
- I will choose vulnerability, openness and being raw: and not be ashamed if others don’t approve
- I will be intentional about setting date nights with my girlfriends and initiating mid-day coffee breaks more frequently.
- I will choose to be away from the computer, when my husband is home and wants to play “house”.
- I will choose start my day with prayer, reflection and education, before emails, tweets and posts.
- I will choose to speak up about my faith, even when its uncomfortable and makes me feel like an outcast.
- I will be OK with not working out, if I don’t have time for the 3rd day in a row and will NOT feel guilty about it.
- I will be OK with splurging on myself every now and again; I’m worth it! and the well won’t run dry because of one nice piece of clothing or one fancy dinner out.
- I will choose my pumps over my boots ever now and again, to embrace the me I’ve known my whole life and deeply missed this past year.
- I will set boundaries between people and things that have a negative impact on me; acknowledging their potential for long term hurt/ damage.
- I will put my family first: our needs are more important that always trying to keep peace or doing what others think I should or is “best”.
- I will accept that there is no one model to be a Christian and will continue to carve my path and deepen my relationship with God (no matter how different it may look for others).
- I will own the fact that I constantly change and evolve as a person. Some may deem that “re-invention,” I see it as “growth!”
- I will embrace me and love her, flaws and all
And finally, going back to where my journey all began…
“I will hold myself to a standard of Grace, rather than perfection!” Emily Ley